The Mastering Basic Cheesemaking book by Gianaclis Caldwell provides a complete hands on guide to making cheese and other fermented dairy products from scratch. It's geared toward helping the novice cheese maker develop the intuition and abilities to position them for success, especially in the real world of the home kitchen!
This well illustrated, clearly written practical guide assumes no prior experience on the part of the aspiring cheese maker.
- Understanding your ingredients, tools and techniques
- Whipping up "instant cheeses" such as ricotta and paneer, while learning basic milk chemistry
- Progressing to fermented dairy products such as kefir, yogurt and sour cream
- Using bacteria and coagulant to create spreadable and tender cheeses like quark, chevre, cream cheese and American style cottage cheese
- Graduating to curdled, aged and ripened cheese—mozzarella, feta, cheddar, gouda, and parmesan
Whether you are a budding cheesemaker, avid do it yourselfer, foodie, homesteader or cheese professional, this complete course in beginning cheesemaking from one of North America's foremost instructors is packed with everything you need to create delicious, nourishing and beautiful classic cheeses and other dairy delights.
Gianaclis Caldwell is the head cheesemaker and owner of Pholia Farm, a licensed dairy well-known for its artisan, aged raw milk cheeses, and for its educational offerings including beginner to advanced cheesemaking courses. She also serves on the American Cheese Society regulatory and academic committee. Gianaclis is the author of several books including Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, The Small-Scale Cheese Business, and The Small-Scale Dairy.
“What I see in your company and all your communications is integrity. Honest and authentic about everything. It instills trust and encourages me to know what you say, you mean. Thank you for being a light in a dark world. You shine brightly.”– Jodi F., IN
Did we forget something? If you need more information about this product, please tell us what else you'd like to know with a quick email or live chat!