"This is an incredible dish to serve to the whole family. Kamut adds a spectacular chewy texture to this recipe. Spinach and enoki mushrooms go well with creamy salmon."
- 1 c. Kamut, soaked overnight
- 1-1/2 c. milk or half-and-half
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. fresh salmon, cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. enoki mushrooms, chopped ( or any other fresh mushrooms)
- 3-4 c. fresh baby spinach
- 5 tbsp. white wine
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 c. shredded cheese
- fresh dill, to serve
To cook the grain, bring a cup of soaked Kamut and 3-4 c. of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp. of salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until the grains are tender. Drain any excess water.
Preheat the oven to 450° F.
In the medium bowl whisk together the milk, flour, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
Heat the oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the enoki mushrooms, onions, garlic, and stir constantly. Let them cook for about a minute. Add the salmon and cook for 5-6 minutes.
Add the spinach and white wine and let it cook for a couple of minutes more.
Stir the milk mixture into the skillet and reduce the heat. Cook for a minute or two, until the mixture starts to thicken. Turn the heat off and mix in the Kamut. Add fresh tomatoes and sprinkle the cheese on top.
Place the skillet in the oven and cook until the cheese has melted. Serve with fresh dill.