"I've enjoyed this recipe from my friend Dori, served many different ways. She cooks their farm raised chickens for this recipe, and I sometimes adapt the recipe to use canned chicken from Grabill or Keystone."
- 4 (13 oz.) cans of Boneless Chicken Chunks, drained (save the broth for other recipes) or freshly cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
- 4-6 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 c. Celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Dill Weed
- Dash of Lemon Juice
- Fresh ground Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Hellman's Mayonnaise, to preferred consistency
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. Curry Powder (optional)
- Fresh parsley, chopped for color in the salad and sprigs for garnish
Place the drained chicken in a large mixing bowl.
Depending on how you wish to serve the chicken salad, break up the meat into the size you want. We opt for larger pieces when making an eat with the fork type salad and finely shredded style meat when making the salad to put inside of something.
Add remaining ingredients, increasing or decreasing quantities and sizes of your chopped ingredients to suit your preference.
Mix very well.
Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Some people like chopped red or green pepper in this salad.
For an eat with a fork salad, add to the above: drained pineapple or drained Mandarin oranges, chopped red or green pepper, drained water chestnuts, and cashew pieces or sliced almonds. Serve with an assortment of crackers.
Serve this salad on sandwiches with sprouts, thin sliced tomatoes, and thin sliced red onion. Maybe some Swiss cheese sliced thin too.
Delicious in sandwiches, cream puffs, wraps, and tomato bowls.