Yum! Yum! Yum! Take these protein treats to the gym, ski slopes, the kids’ games, up a mountain and everywhere else! These Granola Protein Bars from The Sprouted Kitchen are almost too good to be true.
Granola Protein Bars
Makes 8 large, or 12 small bars
- 1-1/4 cups rolled/flaked oats
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw cashews (we substituted walnuts)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (we substituted maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup crisp brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the oats and nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until just barely toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Turn the heat down to 300°F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the brown rice syrup, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add the toasted oats and nuts, the rice cereal, and protein powder and stir until everything is coated. Stir in the cherries.
- Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving extra paper over two sides of the pan, for easy removal of the bars. Dump the granola mixture in the center, and using a large spoon or your fingers, press the mixture down compactly (wetting the spoon or your fingers with warm water to keep them from getting sticky). Be sure to push the mixture all the way to the corners. Bake until the top is slightly toasted, 23-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Pull them out by the parchment paper and cut eight-twelve bars of equal size.
If you’re going to eat them later, wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap. They should keep fresh for about a week.